Thursday, July 3, 2008

Battles Won and Battles Pending

Today I was able to remove the "C" pillar coverings, the rear seatbelt fixture coverings, and the "shelf" where the speakers are mounted. I went ahead and removed the speakers for testing, as some of them do not presently work. I began ripping out the headliner, and am about 50% done with that particular task, if I exclude the work involved in cleaning up all the sticky orange foam.

Now I'm held up. It is not inherently obvious how to remove the "A", "B", and "D" pillar coverings. I can get by with just the "A" and "B" coverings removed, but there are some electronics behind the "D" coverings that I would like to test. I would also like to be able to thoroughly clean all of them.

Additionally, I have not yet been able to figure out how to remove the sun visors. The Bentley has been completely useless in this matter. I may be looking in the wrong section, though... It's so much information, I'm never sure if I'm in the right spot.

I decided to quit removing things for the day and then retired to the apartment. Once inside, I began cleaning some items I had removed, namely the rear headrests and the "C" pillar coverings. Afterwards, I began testing the rear speakers.

One of the speakers worked great, but the other had not been putting out sound at all. I put a AA battery to the non-working speaker, and was still getting nothing. I made contact closer and closer to where the speaker wires disappeared into a pile of hot glue-ish goo, but with no success. I was beginning to think it may be the time to post on the Audi World forums to request a replacement speaker, but then I got to thinking...

What if I just melt this stuff off? I can't ruin the speaker any more than it's ruined already, right? I took my soldering iron to the wires running into the glob, gently pulling on them while heating until they slid out. I took a hair dryer to the globs and slowly worked them off with my Leatherman. The soldering joints which lead to the speakers internal wiring were fully exposed. I took my battery to them and hooray! Sound! It took some "precision" work, or at least "precision" for me to get things resoldered, but now that everything is put back together the speaker is working great.

Victory!

No comments: