Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Dead Battery

While I had the car in the garage, I spent some time pulling fuses to determine what might be draining the battery. I did a quick check on the electrical draw. Something was consistently drawing 9V! No wonder the battery died...

Finding the problem is a simple process, really. You disconnect the negative battery terminal, put a test light between the cable and the battery, then start pulling fuses until the light shuts off. In the worst case, the light won't shut for any of the fuses and you're stuck with a potentially bad alternator, starter, radiator fan, etc.

In my case fuse #4 did the trick. In my car, this fuse is responsible for the circuit the interior lights, vanity mirror lights, trunk light, cigar lighter, trip computer, clock, radio, and some other small non-critical components are on. Since this leaves me with a specific set of items to put the multimeter to I am happy. Until I have the opportunity to do this, I will leave the fuse out.

The battery is recharged and I was able to start the car for the first time in several days without a jump from a friend. Hooray!

1 comment:

Jewell said...

Joy, I can't wait till I see how "pimped" your ride can be.