Saturday, December 29, 2007

Blower Motor

Today I tackled the blower motor "repair", which turned out to be not much of a repair at all.

The blower motor - the motor responsible for blowing heated (or cooled) air into the cabin of the car - is simply an electric motor with variable speed. In Casper it is located in the housing for the heater core, which is directly behind the engine and in front of the windshield. Accessing it was simply a matter of opening the hood and removing a piece of weatherstripping and a plastic shroud.

My "repair" was no more than disconnecting an air hose and spraying lubricant onto the blower motor. I had first thought to use WD-40, but was told it would evaporate within a week and I would be back where I started. Instead, I ended up using a lubricant based on mineral spirits. Silicone-based lubricants would have also been suitable.

Following a liberal application of sprayable lubricant, I turned the heater on and added a little more during operation. After everything was put back together I moved the car out of the garage and left the heater fan on full blast for ~20 minutes for good measure.

For the time being I have heat as I should. This might last me a week, or maybe for as long as I keep the car. With any good fortune it will last until the end of winter.

No comments: