Thursday, November 15, 2007

Casper the Friendly Car

My wife and I drive a 1989 Audi 200TQ, which has been dubbed (by one person, at least) "Casper" due to the ghostly howl which used to emit from the engine compartment (more about this later).

For a car that is now of the legal age to purchase cigarettes, it has its fair share of problems: electrical quirkiness, oil leaks, air hoses corroding, interior deterioration - the normal bullet-list of complaints common to most vehicles of the same age.

This blog is intended to be a detailed account of my venture into auto repair. Hold onto your butts, as this could get very interesting. I should warn you now that I know next to nothing about engines or automobiles, and my understanding of the electronic systems contained in most cars isn't much better.

However, I do have the Internet on my side. In my case, there are resources like http://www.audiworld.com/ and http://www.sjmautotechnik.com/, as well as a plethora of sites dedicated to selling the parts I need at low cost.

I have already made some small repairs, which I intend to document on this site as a reference for others. I will do my best to include images - with labeling where appropriate - and possibly videos.

Above all, this is intended to serve as a record of my foray into the territory of the mechanic. It is a frightening place for most, but it is not an unwelcoming one. Please join me on this exciting adventure!

No comments: