Monday, April 7, 2008

April Update

The cars have been working great, so there isn't much to say. I have not yet had an opportunity to install an inline coolant heater for the VW, which I regret... But winter is basically over, so there is presently not much advantage to install one.

Today I replaced another low-beam on the VW, and am wondering if the light going out was merely a fluke or if it is a sign of a larger problem. I had replaced both low-beams in January. I did notice the headlight fixture doesn't seem to be fully sealed, so moisture may be an issue.

I also replaced the under-body cover for the VW today. For this it was necessary to purchase ramps to drive the car onto. It was $40 for a set that can handle 6000lbs directly (3000lbs per ramp). During the replacement process I had noticed one of the plastic pieces the under-body cover attaches to was cracked badly, so my friend Gary patched it up by riveting a piece of aluminum sheeting across the cracked portion.

I am glad to have the under-body cover replaced, as the previous cover was barely hanging in place and made awful flapping noises at interstate speeds or when driving into a strong headwind.

The Audi rarely gets taken out these days, mainly because I don't really have anywhere to go.

If I had the opportunity to scrap the Audi in favor of a Mercedes-Benz 300D/300SD/300SDL in very good condition, or if I had the scratch to afford a 2001-2003 VW New Beetle RSi ($58k, as only 250 of them exist) I would in a heartbeat. That's not to say I dislike the Audi. On the contrary, I love it. It's just that the other two would be so much more fun!

I've made it my goal for the year to test-drive an Audi R8 TDI. On a closed track.

No comments: