Wednesday, January 30, 2008

In Need of Heat

In the last two days we have seen the temperature fall nearly 50 degrees (Fahrenheit) here in North Dakota. With wind chill, we're looking at "feels like -50F" outside. It is not a pretty situation.

People start to notice things about their cars in this kind of weather, namely things like a failure to start. Batteries are so cold they simply cannot provide the power the starter requires. Oil is too cold to be an effective lubricant. Antifreeze may potentially be frozen.

This is why we use block heaters: coolant heaters, freeze plug heaters, oil pan heaters, etc. The main goal is to raise the temperature of the engine to something civilized prior to turning the key.

Now, I cannot stress this next point enough: if you live in similar conditions and lack some kind of preheating mechanism (preferably a coolant heater), you are murdering your car. Unless you park in a heated garage, that is.

I am a bad owner, as neither of my cars have a block heater. The temperature drops and I can't drive anywhere... But no more! I have ordered an in-line coolant heater for both cars, and will have everything installed in a few days. Never again will I contend with cranking the engine more than a second or two, and never again will I have to allow the car to "warm up" before I drive away.

In other news, the fuel gelled in the Beetle today... Gary brought over his 10,000BTU propane heater and we were able to fire it up after warming for about an hour. Never again will I be forgetful of the blend ratio of our diesel!

No comments: